Monday, February 4, 2008

Too Cold for biking?....yes.

Well, this morning I really didn't feel like waiting at a bus stop so instead, I hopped on my bike (it had been a while because of all this extreme windchill stuff we've been getting. With that said, I have logged about 200km so far this year in the snow.

Anyways, back to this morning. This morning was a nice balmy -14 and a slight breeze so I went ahead and rode to school. No mishaps or anything, and I arrived safely, fingers a little cold but in good shape. Then I spent the next 4 hours working on a lab assignment. Now it's time for work, so I go back to my locker, get my cycling gear back on, head out the door, and wham! where did this wind come from? A cold north wind was coming right my way. Oh well, gotta get to work right? Well, I'll tell you, that was one strong wind, if I didn't have my OR Ninjaclava, ski goggles, water/wind proof jacket and pants (also great for keeping sweat nice and close to your body), boots and 2 pairs of gloves on, I would have gotten a bit of the frost bite for sure.

The only real downside to wearing the face cover is that it restricts air flow, so I have to open my mouth really wide to get enough air, not the most comfortable thing to be doing. Well, 20 min(or so) later, I arrive at work. my boss shaking his head with a slight grin on his face for riding today.
Well, further into the day, the wind kept picking up and the temperature kept dropping, so I had to call the support car (Jess and Abby) to come get me. It was too darn cold for me. Many will call me crazy, while others will call me a wuss. Either way, it feels great to get some exercise outdoors. School has had me swamped lately, so we havn't been able to get out skiing since our trip to Alberta.

So, hopefully we'll be seeing some warmer weather soon so I don't have to get Jess to pack up Abby and come get me....... thanks dear.

2 comments:

Kristi Drennan said...

you're crazy you crazy Manitoban!

Anonymous said...

Vox for life. I will have to post a link to you. Keep on ridin'...